Wednesday, April 27, 2011

All your base are belong to... Hackers.. PSN down for 7 days

10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2..1... KNOCK OUT!

As you know, the PlayStation network continues on it's 7th day of being down. One full week. And they are finally releasing details on what's going down. And it turns out ALL of our personal information is taken.

- Name
- Address (city, state, zip)
- Country
- Email Address
- Birthdate
- PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID


That's what they know for sure is taken, from all 77 million PSN users. And don't forget that there is the possibility they have our credit card numbers as well. Although Sony says there is no evidence showing that they did, it's still in the back of all our minds.

Sony also sent out a mass email to everyone. Take a look at it, and read through it. I'll highlight some of the main things you should read

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number, or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the Playstation Network and Qriocity services are fully restroed, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use the Playstation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them as well.

That is very important. Do not give out any information like that.

Make sure to check everything you can. Review your account statements and your credit cards and debit cards. Change email passwords if needed and such. Protect against possible identity theft! I know that there are 77 million people on the PSN, and you think none of this could happen to you, think again. It's a chance that I wouldn't want to take.

I know how frustrating all of this could be. Because I feel your pain. Trust me on this one. Paul comes in bragging every day at work. " Oh yeah I played all day yesterday, went 48-3 on a map." Then all day turns into 45 minutes, but still. He gets to play and make fun of all us PSN users.

Sony is doing what it can. Don't doubt that. I'm sure that they have been working around the clock on this, and hopefully services will be restored as soon as possible. And if you guys have any questions, they gave us a phone number we can call if you have any questions. I'll put it up for you all.

1-800-345-7669

Now there is another topic that has shed some light. A "refund" tidbit. Since the PSN went offline, players who have paid for subscriptions such as PlayStation Plus, and DC Universe Online have wondered if they'd get money back as they can't use the services. Here is what they said " While we are still assessing the impact of this incident, we recognize that this may have had financial impact on our loyal customers. We are currently reviewing options and will update you when the service is restored"

Which kinda means we aren't going to find out anything about whether we will be compensated or anything. Personally, I don't have PlayStation plus or anything, so I'm not worried about getting anything in return, but for those of you who have it, well, hopefully you'll get a little somethin somethin'. But the thing is, you only pay 50 bucks a year. A YEAR. So if the PSN is going to be down for 2 weeks, that is only 1/26th of a year. So really, should you get a month free or something? No, I don't think so. Because 2 weeks is only a fraction of the year that you are paying for. At least I think so. But if they are feeling really really generous, I personally would want a free PSN game or PSOne Classic. But that's just me.

All in all, I hope the network is up soon. I need to hit 15-50. That's prestige 15, level 50, btw. As I am roughly around level 25 or so. And I know my friends have been dying to play. Cross your fingers. And don't worry, I'll have my toes crossed as well just in case.

-j-

No comments:

Post a Comment